Skip to main content

Payments (Billing and Purchasing)

Paying and issuing of your invoices plus managing vendors, customers and income are the responsibility of Finance Accounts Payable (AP) and Accounts Receivable (AR). Their job is to work with you and other UNSW delegated staff to manage and fulfill these actions.

The four subject areas you should understand about paying and receiving funds are as follows:

For inquiries please contact Finance Helpdesk on or call ext 53330.

Forms required for payment purposes can be found here:

ER1 - Payments to Students

This form is used for the reimbursement of expenses, and payment of prizes, to students.  Follow the instructions in the form.  ER1 - Student Reimbursment Form 

Note for employees, the ER1 form for staff is no longer used.  Please log into Concur to claim your expenses.

Transaction Declarlaton Form

This form is to be completed when there is no invoice/receipt for an expense reimbursement. Transaction Declaration Form

MV2 - Private Vehicle Mileage Form

Use this form if claiming motor vehicle expenses on a privately owned vehicle used for UNSW business purposes.  MV2 Private Vehicle Mileage Forms

TR2 - Travel Allowance Form

Calculate and get approval for travel allowances using My Travel, then use the documentation provided by My Travel to claim your allowance in SAP Concur EMS (aka My Expenses).  These forms are for use by people who do not have access to Concur.

Travel Allowance (Per Diem) Form and Travel Allowances 

VN - Vendor Form

Application to add new or change existing Vendors in NS Financials. This is an online form and requires zPass login. Vendor Creation / Amendment Form

PR1 - Payment Request Form

UNSW’s preferred method of paying vendors is through the use of Purchase Orders accompanied by a vendor invoice. However, it is recognised that there are certain approved (one off exception) payment types where a purchase order and invoice are not appropriate. In these exceptional circumstances, the form to be used for payment is the PR1 Payment Request Form

SBS - Statement by Supplier

A 'Statement by Supplier' form must accompany these forms (this form is an ATO form). Click here for more information. 

NT - Non-Travel Advance Form

A Non-Travel Advance is available for UNSW Staff for all purposes that relate to UNSW business, that exclude travel, where a UNSW credit card or other purchasing method is not available

NTA Guidelines Document for Non-Travel Advance Forms

NT1 Request for Non-Travel Advance Form

NT2 Settlement of Non-Travel Advance Form

Request for a new customer or an amendment to a customer

To request a new customer, use the Customer Invoice Request Dashboard to request a bill, as part of that process you can request a new customer be created.

To request an amendment to customer details please contact Central Finance AR at


Customer Invoice Request
CN - Credit Note Request

Guidance for requesting credit notes can be found here

RFDN - Debit Note Request

This form is to be completed and emailed to the Finance administration officer within your own faculty/division. If the debit is for Controlled Entities, it is emailed to Central Finance AR. There are more guidelines on the form itself. Debit Note Form.xls

SBD1 - Sundry Bad Debt Write-Off

This form is rasied by Collection Staff, recommended by Finance Manager or Head of School before being submitted to Central Finance AR for approval and further action to be taken. Sundry Bad Debt Write-Off Form.xls

SBD2 - Student Bad Debt Write-Off

This form is rasied by Collection Staff, recommended by Head of School before being submitted to Central Finance AR for approval and further action to be taken. Student Bad Debt Write-Off Form.pdf

OS - OneStop Access Requests

To request access to OneStop cashiering complete the Request access to finance systems form.

If you have any questions or require assistance please contact the IT Service Desk ( on x 51333

OSEC - OneStop Event Creation

This form is to request a OneStop event be created. Onestop Event Creation Form

L20R - Receipting of non invoice related payments

This form is used for receipting of non-invoice related payments.  Please ensure all relevant chart-field details are listed before sending the completed form to DFO Finance Operations

Unisearch Payment Form

Unisearch Payment Form - this form is used for UNSW staff undertaking Unisearch jobs.  Please ensure all supporting documents are included before sending the completed form to Unisearch

Payment advances

If you do not hold a UNSW credit card or exceptional circumstances exist, there are a couple of ways you can receive payment advances.

Travel Advances: You may require a Travel Advance when you do not hold a UNSW credit card or the one you have cannot be used. This is a request for funds in advance to cover your travel on approved University business.

The travel advance process is as follows:

Apply for your travel advance in MyTravel, when you have your pre-trip approval use it as supporting documentation to request the payment of the advance in Concur (My Expenses).

Non-Travel Advances: If you require funds for activities other than travel, you should apply for a Non-Travel Advance. Again this is when you do not have a UNSW credit card or it cannot be used.

The Non-Travel Advance process is as follows:

Apply for a cash advance in Concur (My Expenses)

Click here to find out more about travel or cash advances

Other payments

In addition to standard invoicing payments there are other payment methods you may be required to use for your faculty’s or department’s business. These payment methods are as follows:

Asset instalments: This is where you will have a multi-line purchase order indicating milestone payments over time. You should diarise these for a smooth process and ensure receipting is completed according to these payment due dates. This requires a copy of the invoice or pro-forma invoice marked as “PREPAYMENT” be sent to Accounts Payable (AP) for processing. For more information click here.

Express payments: These are payments you need to be made quickly. However theses should only be requested from AP if the following criteria are met:

Significant penalties or late fees will be incurred or discount foregone if not paid immediately

Immediate payment is required to meet UNSW statutory or compliance obligations (e.g. tax or payroll).

You are required to have all express payments approved by the Associate Director – Finance Shared Services or nominated financial delegate. Please note that express payments are limited to electronic funds transfer (EFT) only.

Student and employee reimbursements: This is when you are refunded when personal funds are used to incur UNSW related expenditure. Reimbursements for staff are done in Concur and reimbursements for students are entered in myUNSW and processed in NS Financials. Fot staff: to ensure prompt and efficient payment any changes to your personal details should be updated via MYUNSW. The approver has to also ensure that the expenditure is appropriate and that receipts and tax invoices are attached to the claim.

Payment channels: UNSW maintains multiple payments methods as part of its commitment to efficiently pay for goods and or services provided. The following payments channels should be used to maintain payment efficiency and effectiveness:

Student and employee reimbursement: The expense module in NS Financials must be used for employee and student reimbursements.

Credit card: UNSW credit cards are intended to provide an efficient method of purchasing travel, accommodation and low value goods and services where no preferred supplier agreement is in place for UNSW business purposes. Use of credit cards should strictly follow the credit card procedure.

Supplier payment: Domestic payment and overseas payment.

Foreign currency

If you have been invoiced in a foreign currency, UNSW has policies and procedures in place to mitigate the risk of currency exposure to the University.  

Invoice of more than or equal to AUD 50,000 equivalent: Requesting a fixed FX rate is mandatory and completion of a fixed rate form is required.

Invoice of under AUD 50,000 equivalent: Requesting a fixed FX rate is not required. Please raise a purchase order as per the regular process for AUD payments. 

Fixed Rate Form: There are two options for you to request a fixed rate for your foreign currency invoice:

 Excel based form – FC2 Form 

Web based form – found in myUNSW / My Finance / Finance Services / Buying / Request a foreign currency PO with a hedge

If using the FC2 form, you will need to email the completed form to your Finance Service Team (FST) to be processed. If using the web form, this will be sent to FST automatically once you click on Submit. 

UNSW Policy and Procedures: Foreign Currency payments are noted as per section 4.23 of the Procurement Procedure and section 6.3.3 of the Treasury Procedure.

For queries relating to Foreign Currency Payments please contact your Finance Service Team member, or alternatively you can email Treasury directly at .