Reimbursing staff and students
Have you spent your own money on UNSW business?
If you are a UNSW staff member or student, you are entitled to be reimbursed.
All expenses must be for a legitimate University purpose, meaning they are reasonable and appropriate in the circumstances, and publicly defensible. The expenditure must not be, or perceived to be excessive and must meet the following principles:
- Necessary to perform a valid business purpose fulfilling the mission of the University
- Reasonable in that the expense is not extreme or excessive, and reflects a prudent decision to incur the expense
- Appropriate in that the expense is suitable and fitting in the context of the valid business purpose
- Allowable according to the terms of any federal regulation, sponsored contract, or University Policy and Procedure.
If you are a UNSW staff member, you can claim your expenses yourself or have another staff member claim your expenses on your behalf.
If you are a student, you can enter your claim into Finance Services (found by clicking on the My Finance tab in myUNSW) or you can ask a UNSW staff member to make a claim on your behalf. You must provide the staff member with your receipt/s.
As a UNSW staff member, you can also enter student payments for scholarships, prizes and awards.
What do you want to do?
- Staff & Student Reimbursement Forms
- ER1 - Expense Reimbursement
This form is used for the reimbursement of expenses to employees and students. Complete the ER1 Expense Reimbursement Form and forward to your administrator for entry into NS Financials. This form is not required to be completed by employees if the employees is entering their own claim into NS Financials and the employee signs the form that is printed from NS Financials.
- MV2 - Private Vehicle Mileage Form
Use the MV2 form if claiming motor vehicle expenses on a privately owned vehicle used for UNSW business purposes.
- TR2 - Travel Allowance Form
Use the TR2 Travel Allowance form to Claim a Travel Allowance (employee only).
- Finance Services Online Forms
Log into Finance Services and use the online forms (including submitting an Expense Claim). Click here to view the guidance materials. (Things you should know about if you use Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome).